Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

A watercolor study of master artist JW Turner's "Flint Castle"


JW Turner "Flint Castle"

I have a lot of fun doing study paintings of the masters. There is so much to learn in composition, color and perspective.   Joseph Mallord William Turner was born in London, England, on April 23, 1775. His father was a barber. His mother died when he was very young.  His style was impressionistic before impressionism was popular.  "Flint Castle" he painted in 1838 and it was a watercolor.  Turners print has more violets complementing the gold tones, he was a master at color.   My violet turned green so I stuck with it and made a painting.  I kept the man's shirt white and the horses for contrast.  My actual painting has more yellow tones, but it did not photograph well.  

6 comments:

  1. Nicely depicted. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sublime ces couleurs

    ReplyDelete
  3. your watercolor are very much Turner like. He must have an influence on you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turner,one of my favorite painters, daring and succesful implementation!!
    Cngrts, Willy

    ReplyDelete

Daffodils Up